Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Family Camp

Chad, Carole, and Emily flew out from South Carolina for the weekend and we had such a great time playing with them. From camping to the zoo to dinner and Dad & Em's birthday party, the fun never stopped. One of the highlights of the weekend was camping in the mountains...there's nothing like cool mountain air to help me relax and reflect on how blessed I am to have such a wonderful family...as the long weekend came to an end, I realized with some dismay that I didn't take as many pictures as I would have liked. In pondering this misfortune, however, I realized that in neglecting to have my camera at my fingertips every second, I actually enjoyed LIVING each moment. I came to the conclusion that sometimes memories are better kept in our minds, where they are pure and un-edited. Celebrating dad's 60th birthday was exciting...the movie Ryan and Braden made of his life was awesome. I'm so proud of my heritage!Luke was perfectly content all evening...he couldn't have been bundled in more layers, and with everyone clamoring to hold him, his first real camping experience was a success (okay, so he didn't actually CAMP overnight - thank goodness we live so close to the canyon - but he did love the evening campfire and early morning camp breakfast in the mountains!)
Tiana wore herself out exploring the woods with Emily and then learning the art of roasting (burning?) marshmallows and munching on cheetos simultaneously. She was too tired to complain when, as the campfire surrendered itself to the chill of the night, Eric changed her into her thermal jammies and tucked her into a thick sleeping bag. She slept like a bear till 6 a.m., when, much to Eric's chagrin, she had to go potty. I say he ought to count himself lucky that she didn't have to go in the middle of the cold night...
The ultimate life....marshmallows, a cupful of cheetos, and a warm fire. Emily and Tiana were absolutely adorable despite the cold.
Tiana was excited to show grandpa Reed the endless possibilities that a headlamp can provide...Happy Birthday Dad!
Derek brought his family up to join us for the camp breakfast the next morning. While the adults relaxed and then broke camp, these 3 musketeers had the time of their lives playing in grandma and grandpa's tent.

2 comments:

Chad and Carole said...

I like you pictures. It was so great to come out and hang out with you guys. Thanks for the fun time. Carole and I are excited about coming out again next summer.

Nicole said...

Looks like you had such a fun time. Wat to go campers!