Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Capsized!



So we took Tiana canoeing down the Provo river with Luke's birthmom Mandy and her brother Matt when they came out mid-August. We also dragged dad and our friend Bud with his kids Jake and Madi. It was an awesome afternoon; we're all just having a grand ol' time on the river, and all of a sudden, with no apparent cause, Bud's canoe (which had all 3 kids aboard happily squirting each other with water guns) tipped. All the way over. We are all still bewildered as to why on earth they capsized. Nevertheless, thankfully Bud and his brother Ben had their wits about them and scooped the kids into their arms before they were all completely submerged and lost in the current. Eric quickly maneuvered his canoe with Matt and Mandy aboard to the riverbank and swam out to help bring the kids in. I, on the other hand, had a slight panic attack and capsized dad and my canoe (much to dad's dismay - sorry!) in the process of trying (hopelessly) to "save" my brave daughter. We were almost to the takeout, thank goodness, and cookies, cheetos and hotdogs miraculously cured our 3 musketeers of their shivers and wailing. At the end of the day, Tiana's comment was that she prefers canoeing on lakes, where you never capsize, and can we please go to a lake instead of a cold river next time???

4 comments:

braden said...

Well, it just goes to show, you can't have a successful canoe trip unless someone tips over.

Chad and Carole said...

I like the narrative. I'm so excited to go out Utah and go canoeing!!! and Camping. That'll be great

Melanie said...

I can just picture you capsizing in your valiant attempt to save Tiana. good times!

Bud Greenwood said...

I think Heidi was 'walking on water' she was trying to run so fast to save us all. I still don't know why the canoe tipped. Usually i can feel it coming. This time i was just suddenly swimming. At least the only loss was a pair of sunglasses