
Eric had to work last week (we missed him!) so the kids and I hitched a ride with grandma and grandpa to Soda Springs to spend some time with great-grandma and head to the mountains in search of huckleberries. I'd been looking forward to this trip all summer. "Huckleberrying" is a family tradition that I love - there's nothing like going to the mountains, knowing the location of the best huckleberry patch (this is information not known to the common U.S. citizen), and spending the morning with people you love seeing who can gather a full gallon bucket first. As I overheard grandma consoling Tiana in the patch after she'd taken a fall among the huckleberry bushes, "You can break your leg in a fall on the mountainside, but don't lose the berries in your bucket!" I was so excited to introduce Tiana to this family tradition and she graciously embraced the experience with as much enthusiasm as I hoped she would. Derek already knew what huckleberries are and where to find them, and it was adorable to watch them and cousin Harrison pick 'em and eat 'em and try to keep a few in the bottom of their buckets.
There's lots to do in Soda, if you're lucky enough to have grown up knowing all of this small town's secrets. We did it all - walked to Hooper, visited the famous Soda Springs geyser, the cemetery where our ancestors are buried, canoed the Bear River (we saw elk, a sunken "pirate ship" row boat, Canadian geese and even pelicans!) and of course ate like kings, courtesy of grandma. Nothing beats her homemade fudgecicles and icebox cake! As I considered this past week why I love Soda so much, I came to the conclusion that it's one of my most favorite places because it's been a constant in my life. Everything else has changed, but Soda has always been there. Same familiar sights, sounds, feel, even smell. As I watched Tiana explore grandma's house with her cousins and delight in the natural soda water spring and playground at Hooper, I caught myself hoping that she will grow to love it as much as I do.
For pictures of our Soda Springs adventure, see our web album!


13 comments:
Wow! You worked hard. Your blog looks great. As long as you post a picture of Luke and Tiana at least once a month I won't complain about how often you find time to blog. Love Tiana's haircut!
Good job Heidi. I love the blog.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! It looks great. Now I guess Dad and I should get on top of things, right!!!! It will happen I promise. This looks great. I love it. Love, Mom
Looks great Heidi. I love the title of your blog. Very creative.
Good job on the blog, Heidi. Is there some type of double meaning to your blog title? Derek said he wants to go pick huckleberries with Tiana & Harrison again. Told him he'll need to wait until next year.
Wow Hiedi, everyone seems quite impressed with your blogging prowess and proficiency in posting ponderous pontification! And do know that all the huckleberrying I'm reading about has made me quite jealous
(This is actually braden, I'm just signed in as my wife)
nice blog! lots like fun!my blog is www.mizelfam@blogspot.com. Cute family you have!
Yay, yay, yay! Heidi, I'm glad you finally started your blog. Your family is so dang cute!
I didn't know that you went to Soda! That looks like tons of fun...
Okay, so I just noticed Tiana's haircut. Wow, that's so short! I love it!
I like the pictures. Let's definitely plan on going huckleberrying next year.
Also like the pictures. - Chad
Your blog is very good.In the blog pictures both the children looks so cute and and very attractive. From........www.goodbyetotension.co.nr/
Looks like fun. I loved the Huckleberry honey you made for us. Thanks. It was awesome. Keep pickin.
Post a Comment